Sunday, September 23, 2007

Poem: Slumber

O God, have mercy on my wretched soul
For I have been snared by my sins of old
I have tread on Thy heavenly toes
Knowing well Thy wrath, Thou wouldst withhold
Wake me from my stupor, O God
My slumber fetters me

The things I ought to do
Slip through my tarnished grasp
Temptation falls into my lap
to be cuddled in conscious abandon
And each time,
I wail of my weakness
Each sin I fail to deny entrance
Yet I deny that I've only failed to choose obedience
For Thy strength is my respite

Have mercy on me, of an unclean heart and filthy mind
And teach me to use Thy strength, O Spirit
That I would choose the sweetness of submission
over the bitter-sweeness of indulgence

O for the countless times that I have grieved Thee, dear Spirit
My reasonable sacrifice corrupted by my iniquity

..Of the times when My will be done
..Of the times when My strength suffices
..Oft when rage usurps my will
..and bitterness smothers my heart
..Oft when I offer on Thy altar
..the shreds and remnents of my precious time

..Of the times when I cling to passionate lust
..and dream of forbidden, sensual ways
..Of the times when I see the lost, dying, seeking
..Only to turn away and dwell in my surety and silence
..Of the times when I take my worldly pleasures
..and revere them in front of Thy jealous face

..Much too often I refuse to heed Thy clear voice
..but heed these three: Me, My and Myself

O, wrenched is my heart
For the spiritual mule that I am
Slow to heed its Master's directions
yet pouncing on each earthly desire

Oh Lord, may this not be of me!
Wake this snivelling fool from his restless slumber!
Teach me, Lord, to love Thy ways
To number my days
To fear Thee and obey Thee
Only then from the clutches of sin fly free!

Hear me, Oh Lord,
I need Thy waking
I desire Thy breaking, moulding and shaping
Make me
Whatever Thou wishes I be

--> Benches Outside SME GO, NTU, 10:45am, 19th September 2000

No comments: