Sunday, September 23, 2007

Poem: Of Love

Of timeless treasures known to man
None surpass all, but love
The love of God, free for all
On a willing bosom rest
A love defined in sacrifice
of want, need and self
Yet harbours no return
--Itself, its own reward

The love that formed our being
And gave our will to choose
The love taht takes the willing
into His bosom rest

Yet... oft times
Between God's will
and His purpose
Interposes Our WILL
and Our PLEASURE

--His plan, we wayside cast

Now love, twisted beyond form
From pure Agape to pure lust
From purity into profanity
Now fornication, defined as just

We love with false love
To be loved falsely back
Kind deeds to feed selfish needs
Driven by the flesh
As sin so black

A war rages in my soul
For te purity of love's motive
Where is the truth?
How much are lies?
Do I love from the heart?
..Or for selfish gain?
..Intellectual satisfaction?
..Social obligation?
..Christian duty?
..Heavenly rewards?

Forbid that I may be deceived by my heart!
Forbid that my motives are corrupt!

My heart desires to be burned
in Your Spirit's cleansing fire
My soul desires to burn forever
With motives pure and true

Renew my heart, O Lord
Renew my mind
Purify my love as Yours
Teach me to love, as You have loved

--> Location unknown, 10th August 2001

Why do we serve? How do we love? Do we question our own motives for loving serving giving for God's holy purposes? Unless we truly Agape, all we will have is just wood, hay, stubble.

No comments: